Monday, March 8, 2010

My blog and SEO

SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a process in which a website takes advantage of various techniques in order to ascend search ranks. The higher the rank, the more visibility your site gets. Greater visibility, more traffic. All weekend I’ve been wracking my brain of ways to promote my blog using SEO techniques and although it’s still a work in progress, I think it’s a good start.

Here’s my plan:

1)Keywords. I previously didn’t even bother with this. Little did I know that adding tags or labels in your blog broadens search queries thereby making it easier for searchers to find your site. It’s like giving your site a little bigger megaphone in which to speak.

2)Site Layout. If you want visitors to stay on your site and click, make its UI easy to use. I’ve changed up the theme of my blog and rearranged the gadgets a bit. I also have to start thinking in terms of inner site searchability and organizing my content accordingly. The easier it is for visitors to find content and navigate within my blog, the more likely they will stay awhile and click around.

3)Titles. I will start incorporating relevant keywords into the title of my posts, as search engines not only look at body text but title text as well. Title text that is relevant to body text will be given a greater standing by search engines.

4)Length of posts. The length of your post can effect a visitor’s willingness to read. Just like a comic strip, it should be quick and clear. I’m going to try to keep my posts “above the fold,” or visible on screen without having to scroll.

5)Video. I posted a finely crafted video on YouTube in which I creatively express my two cents worth on Axle Rose’s new persona. Of course, I plug my blog at the end. Maybe some hair band fans will want to learn more about the “guy under the hat” and visit my blog? If it works I’ll consider exploring video as a way to draw visitors.

Of course I don’t expect my rakings to blow through the roof tomorrow morning. It can take years for a blog to gain a respectable search rank. These tactics all require you to take little extra time (some more than others) to ensure your site and its contents are easily accessible. Unfortunately, only time will tell how effective they really are.

1 comment:

  1. Great post - simple and concise. I am definitely planning on working on my blog over spring break to maximize SEO. I'm going to go back and add tags as well.

    ReplyDelete